Due to a lack of funds, I have been unable to partake in much hobby related activity so I have been very quiet on the blog. However as of last week that changed. Thanks to an early Christmas from my aunt, I was able to begin my journey into the varied forces of the Wehrmacht. I was able to get my hands on the German Grenadiers box (which made some great little figures and has some great posing option) and the LeIG 18 75mm field gun.
 |
| The LeIG 18 75mm field gun |
Now I know that one box and a clam pack doesn't sound like a great deal, and if this was Warhammer 40000 or the now defunct Warhammer Fantasy that is barely anything. However this is Bolt Action. The Grenadiers box contains 30 models, enough to make three 10 man infantry teams or a commader and friend, an observer, a sniper team, one 5 man squad of veterans with STGs and Panzerfausts and two 10 man regular Grenadier squads with all the bells and whistles (3 STGs, 5 rifles, 1 LMG and 1 SMG with a pair of Panzerfausts). Add a light howtizer to the mix and you have a 500 point army.
 |
| Not all small howitzers are created equally |
I have built all the models from the kits and overall it was a simple and enjoyable build. My one gripe with the kit is the lack of an independent weapon sprue that I got in the British Infantry box which allows for you to build some of the smaller two man weapon teams you get in the army book, but overall, that's not a problem just slightly annoying. I have the LeIG 18 painted and I am currently working on the meat of the force.
 |
| LeIG 18 ready for deployment General |
In terms of a theme for the tank I don't currently have one. I was tempted to base it off of the "Disciplinary Regiment" from the novels of Dutch Novelist Sven Hassel however decided not to. As of this point the only "theme", if you can call it that, is that one squad in the army is us (The Karlack 22nd) from our adventures in PTSD simulator (Red Orchestra 2 for those who don't know). We have Jay as squad leader and armed with a STG , Will is running around with a pilfered Soviet weapon as he has a habbit of doing that, Rob takes the LMG because well I felt like it and he seems to end up with that gun more than usual and I take one of the rifle man roles.
 |
| The Germans are here... They just seem to be out of uniform! |
For expansion of this army a tank is the next step, and being a German player, my selection is vast. I could have a Tiger or its bigger, meaner brother the King Tiger. I could have the little and very capable 38t tank (or the Hetzers, its Tank Destroyer offspring). However I think the most likely new addition will be the Panzer IV H as it gives me a tank and a mobile heavy AT gun (Not a bad thing). On top of this maybe a few hanomags or weapons teams as that is one thing I am sorely lacking in this force.
I am looking forward to my adventures as the commander of the German Army and will keep you all apprised to my wins, loses and draws (If that ever happens of course)
Commissar Bean signing out
No comments:
Post a Comment